Meet Dot

Every once and a while we come across someone who makes a huge impact on us. Dot Chapman is that person for the owner of Private Home Care, Inc. Dot made such an impact that Kathy made her the face of her company! Dot has touched the lives of so many people, here is the story of Dot and Kathy.


I saw Kathy for the first time a day after she was born.  Kathy’s parents recently moved about 2 hours away, to Camden from Fairfield, Maine.

I knew Kathy’s parents (Kingsley and Margaret Strout) when they first arrived in Fairfield, as Kathy’s father, was the Methodist minister at the church where I was a member of, and remaining lifelong friends for over 50 years.

I admired both Kathy’s mother and father very much.  Kathy’s mother was physically handicapped due to an illness, yet she would not let that interfere with living the fullest life possible.  She participated in everything.  I admired her father, because he was so patient and caring to Margaret—and to everybody, for that matter.

A little more about me:
I was born in Athens, Maine on a farm my (paternal) grandfather built.  During the depression era, my parents lost the farm. 

In the 6th grade, we moved to Waterville, Maine. Then after a year, to Clinton to my mother’s parent’s farm.  In my junior year in high school, I lived with my aunt and uncle in Fairfield and finished high school.  After graduation, I worked for a brief time at a baking company in Waterville, while also putting my name in several other places for employment.  Within a year, I received a call from the telephone company and worked with them for the next 40 years.  The first 11 years as a switchboard telephone operator, then as an instructor, teaching new operators, then as a supervisor for the telephone operators.  This department was called the traffic dept.  I then moved to the engineering department as the office person. 

When the opening came for an engineering office person, the boss placed a notice on the board, told the chief operator in traffic dept. if anyone is interested to please apply. Several from our dept. applied for the position (12+).  I jokingly commented to my superior, “Maybe I’ll put my name in, too.” I enjoyed working in the traffic department and had no intention of applying.  I was the first one to interview.

On the day of interviewing, I entered and sat down to talk to who would be my immediate boss.  The first question was, “why be here?” to which I replied, “I don’t know” …

He responded, “Well, you would have holidays and weekends off.” …
I asked what specific work does this job involve, to which he replied, “typing and filing primarily.”
“Well, that leaves me out.  It’s been 11 years since I’ve practiced this.”
“Oh, you can pick that up quick enough,” he tells me….

He didn’t even know me, and I did not help myself at all in the interview.
I learned later that the decision came down to two women, I being one of them.  

The chief engineer asked for an additional interview, for us to see the office and the atmosphere we would be working in.  We would have our own desk and be in charge of the office.

The decision came to our dept. that I received the job.  These were the best 3 years with the company.  A wonderful group of engineers.  I later asked how I got hired.  My boss told me he was impressed by the interview.  Also, they asked for a second interview so the other guys in the department could weigh in on the decision since we would all be working together.

After 3 years in Waterville, the office of engineers relocated to Augusta for a short time.  Since I had no car, I carpooled to work with a fellow who lived in Waterville and worked for Central Maine Power (CMP).

During this time, I received a call from the Business Office in Waterville.  I didn’t think I would care to work in this department and said I was not interested.  The individual I talked with persuaded me by saying that it would make more sense to work in the town I lived in.  So, I accepted a position as a service rep, answering the phone, any calls for any questions from customers.  Then later became supervisor, until retirement.

Retirement came early, at 59, due to the business office closing.  After 40 years of service, I was given an early retirement package offer. I cared for both parents just prior to retirement, then both came to live with me afterward.

Prior to retirement, I was involved in volunteer work, as a member of Telephone Pioneers, with 21 years of active service. The Pioneers offered a great social life, as well as working life.  We were active in a lot of volunteer work and projects. The Pioneers are community oriented to help in the community. 

5 years before retirement, I was involved in infant hearing project, that testing newborns for hearing so they could be treated right away instead of waiting.  The doctor in charge wanted the Pioneers to do its paperwork.  I co-chaired this project with the doctor for 11 years. 

Another volunteer program also took place at the hospital: a children’s visitation program, for children who were going into the hospital, and what happens when they are in the hospital.  We had school buses of kids coming in, and we would set up a room to be like a regular hospital room, and the children and we would act out the roles of nurse and patient. I have always loved children and being a part of their lives.

What I enjoy for myself these days?...Now that I am in my 90’s I am still active in the church I became a member of, long ago, when Kathy’s parent’s first arrived.

Thursday nights is crafting night, where 10 individuals meet at my home to converse and make crafts.  Friday night is a fun night; 8 individuals come for a meal—2 persons per week prepares the meal for us all—and we enjoy each other’s company playing board games, card games or dominos.

I have always loved cooking throughout my years, and I used to sew a lot.  I like to read, and I enjoy children immensely.  After beginning work with the phone company, I rented a house, which I was later able to purchase.  The house was two floors made up of two separate, yet identical apartments.  When I rented, I would not take a tenant unless they had children.


Comments